Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving, part 1

A few days before I fly out to Pittsburgh to spend Thanksgiving week with my family, we were pulled out of a meeting at work so they could tell us the company was closing down and congratulations, we're all fired! I spent the next few days wandering my apartment thinking "The last time I watered this plant, I HAD A JOB", "When I bought this spaghetti, I STILL HAD A JOB" so it was a nice change of pace to go home for a while.

On the Sunday before Thanksgiving we ate brunch at Lidia's in the Strip District, which is a multi-course affair that includes baked goods, an antipasto buffet, a daily selection of pastas, and a dessert buffet.

Lidia's Sunday brunch

Lidia's Sunday brunch

There is also a bridge outside with globe decorations on its post that make it look like it's staring at you.

Bridge of Sauron

The Strip District has a lot of interesting shops in it. You can weave your way on the tiny sidewalks past the Steelers merchandise tables (with the blaring HERE WE GO music and the signs that say YINZERS PAY HERE) to get to all kinds of ethnic markets and food stores.

DO NOT RIP THE FISH

And I have to say, nothing really cheers you up like you and your sister (quietly) bursting into song to the bemusement of the cashier in the middle of a spice store.

November 21, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment